Useful contacts

Below we have formed links for useful local services, for example reporting pots holes, broken traffic signs and bin collections.

Bin collection days

Enter your house number / name and road below. For example, 1 Ipswich Road

Planning portal

You can search for a Planning Applications and Appeals by keyword, application reference, postcode or by a single line of an address. The best is the reference code. For example DC/19/00567 is the Pigeon Development code.

Lorry Watch scheme

Join Lorry Watch to help notify councils in Suffolk of HGV vehicles who fail to follow weight restriction traffic orders.


Trading Standards Service can enforce weight restriction orders under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Weight restriction orders make it an offence to drive a vehicle through the restricted area where the vehicle exceeds the weight limit imposed unless they are exempt, for example, when delivering or collecting within the restriction zone.

The Lorry Watch scheme aims to help parishes who feel that local HGV weight restriction traffic orders are being abused.

The scheme is run by Trading Standards in partnership with Suffolk Highways, who ensure that weight restriction orders are adhered to. These orders are in place to protect old or weak structures, as well as to prohibit heavy vehicles from areas unsuitable for their size (e.g. narrow village roads).

The scheme aims to empower residents and prevent environmental damage to some of Suffolk’s most sensitive settlements.

We have active Lorry Watch schemes in the following areas:

  • Barnham
  • Coddenham
  • Eye
  • Fornham All Saints
  • Hadleigh
  • Holton
  • Leiston
  • Sproughton

Joining the scheme

If you are interested in joining Lorrywatch in an area which HGVs are abusing a weight restriction, please contact Suffolk Trading Standards. Please note that Lorrywatch zones can only be considered where there is a weight restriction. 

Where HGVs are causing a nuisance and you would like to apply for a weight restriction or report damage please contact Highways. 

Please also contact your local parish or town council to gain their support and seek observers to take part in the scheme. Observers must be 18 or over and willing to attend a short training session. 

Let’s build something together.